Ricardo is an Associate Professor in Colab. He combines a creative background as an industrial designer with a passion for the systematic study of computational systems.
Ricardo Sosa combines a creative background as an industrial designer with a passion for the systematic study of computational systems. He has been studying creativity and innovation principles through multi-agent social systems for the last twelve years and is also involved in the development of new methods and support systems for the fuzzy front-end of the design and innovation process. Currently, he is looking into the best facilitation practices for team ideation and for participatory decision making. He has extensive teaching experience across disciplines from first year undergraduate to postgraduate courses and research supervision. Ricardo partners with colleagues across disciplines including: robotics, social science, cognitive science, architecture, arts, engineering, business, public health, computer science, etc.
- 2005 PhD Design Computing, University of Sydney, Australia
- 1995 Industrial Design BA (Hons), Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Mexico
- Participatory creativity
- Robots for Education
- Creative teamwork
- Design research
- Computational social science
- National System of Research (Mexico), SNI-Conacyt (Level 1, 2018)
- Dean’s Award for Research Excellence, DCT Faculty, AUT, 2016.
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy, UK, 2015.
- National System of Research (Mexico), SNI-Conacyt, 2008–2011.
- The Alumni Distinguished Graduate Teaching Award, May and Dec 2010.
- The Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award, May 2009 and Dec 2010.
- IPRS Scholarship, Commonwealth Department of Education, Training and Youth Affairs, Australia (2000 – 2004).
- IPA Scholarship: The University of Sydney, Australia (2000 – 2004).
- University Merit Medal, Autonomous Metropolitan University 1996.
- Grocott, L. & Sosa, R. (2017) The Contribution of Design in Interdisciplinary Collaborations: A framework for amplifying project-grounded research In J. Oliver (Ed.) Associations: Creative Practice and Research. Melbourne University Press, Melbourne.
- Sosa, R. (2016) Computational modelling of teamwork in design. In P. Cash, T. Stanković and M. Storga (Eds.) Experimental Design Research; Approaches, Perspectives, Applications. Springer International Publishing Switzerland, pp. 173-186. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-33781-4
- Sosa, R., Rojas, N., Gero, J. S., & Xu, Q. (2016). Visual divergence in humans and computers. Design Studies, 42, 56-85. doi:10.1016/j.destud.2015.10.002
- Sosa, R. and Gero, JS. (2016). Multi-Dimensional creativity: A computational perspective. International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation, 4(1), 26-50. doi:10.1080/21650349.2015.1026941
- Telenko, C., Sosa, R. and Wood, K. L. (2016) Changing conversations and perceptions: The research and practice of design science. In Chakrabarti, A. & Lindemann, U. (Eds.), Impact of Design Research on Industrial Practice; Tools, Technology, and Training. Springer, pp. 281-309. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-19449-3
- Sosa, R., Connor, A., Corson, B. (2016) Framing creative problems. In C. Zhou (Ed.) Handbook of Research on Creative Problem-Solving Skill Development in Higher Education, IGI Global, Hershey, PA. doi: 10.4018/978-1-5225-0643-0
- Connor A.M., Sosa R., Marks S., Jackson A.G. (2016) Problem solving at the edge of disciplines. In C. Zhou (Ed.) Handbook of Research on Creative Problem-Solving Skill Development in Higher Education. IGI Global, Hershey, PA. doi: 10.4018/978-1-5225-0643-0.ch010
- Connor A.M., Sosa R., Karmokar S., Marks S., Buxton M., Gribble AM., Jackson A.G., Footit J. (2016) Exposing core competencies for future creative technologists. In Creative Technologies for Multidisciplinary Applications. Editors: Connor AM, Marks S. 373. IGI Global, Hershey, PA. doi: 10.4018/978-1-5225-0016-2.ch015
- Mohan, R. E., Tan, N., Tjoelsen, K., & Sosa, R. (2015). Designing the robot inclusive space challenge. Digital Communications and Networks, 4(1), 267-274. doi:10.1016/j.dcan.2015.09.005
- Nansai, S., Rojas, N., Mohan, E. R., Sosa, R., & Iwase, M. (2015). On a Jansen leg with multiple gait patterns for reconfigurable walking platforms. Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 7(3). doi: 10.1177/1687814015573824
- Nansai, S., Rojas, N., Mohan, R. E., Sosa, R., & Iwase, M. (2015). A novel approach to gait synchronization and transition for reconfigurable walking platforms. Digital Communications and Networks, 1(2), 141-151. doi:10.1016/j.dcan.2015.04.003
- Tan, N., Rojas, N., Mohan, R. E., Kee, V., & Sosa, R. (2015). Nested reconfigurable robots: theory, design, and realization. Int J Adv Robot Syst, 12, 110. doi: 10.5772/60507